Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Awesome God

Hi everyone!  Wow, I can’t believe it’s been more than a week since I wrote my last blog post.  I was actually on vacation in Pittsburgh, PA all last week, and while I was there, I completely disconnected myself from all things electronic (except for the TV, of course).  But now that I’m at home again, I’m ready to get back to one of my favorite things – blogging! 

My mom and step-dad, Jim, have lived in Pittsburgh for about a year now, so I was excited when my husband, my son and I decided to visit them for a week.  I knew I would enjoy spending time with my family there, but what I didn’t know is just how beautiful the city is.  From the moment I arrived, I saw these huge mountains covered with beautiful green trees, and there were hills and rivers and bridges, oh my!  It was truly spectacular.  When I got to my mom’s house, I was in for an even more delightful surprise.  Right in their front yard, I saw blue jays, robins and cardinals – birds that I had never seen before in my life!  Seeing the brilliant colors of these birds just took my breath away, and I was in complete awe of the incredible beauty that surrounded me.    

After the first night there, I woke up to the most glorious sunrise.  It was like heaven on earth for me.  To see the sun shining so brightly and to hear the birds singing so beautifully reminded me of how awesome God is.  He created so many beautiful things for us to enjoy, and sometimes while I’m in my regular world of rushing to work, rushing to pick up my son from daycare and then rushing back home again, I tend to miss the beauty of the things around me.  But, in this moment, I was taking the time to soak it all in.  All I wanted to do was sing and rejoice and give thanks to God for the wonderful things He has created and for the wonderful life that He has given me.  I am so blessed.

The song that came to my mind was “Awesome God”.  The words of the chorus are simple but powerful:

Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power and love
Our God in awesome God

I love this song because there really is no better way to describe God than simply….awesome.  There are lots of different versions of this song, but my favorite is the one performed by Hillsong United.  Check it out and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment