Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Footprints in the Sand

Since my last blog entry on July 7th, I’ve sat down many times to try and write something – something encouraging, inspiring or thought-provoking – but every time I tried to write, I had nothing.  No words to say and no words to write.  You see, my uncle passed away a couple of weeks ago.  He was just 53 years old.  As far as we know, he didn’t have any serious health issues, so his death came as a complete shock to both me and my family. 

At my uncle's memorial service, the gracious employees at the funeral home passed out these lovely pamphlets to everyone who came to pay their respects and offer their condolences.  The pamphlet was really well put together – it had a nice picture of my uncle, a list of all his family members, the 23rd Psalm and the famous poem, Footprints in the Sand.  I've read this poem many, many times in my life, but it took on a new meaning to me when I read it that day.
 
 
Footprints in the Sand
By Mary Stevenson

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints,
is when I carried you."

It's no doubt that my family and I are going through a rough time right now, and I sometimes wonder how we are going to make it through this difficult season.  But in reading this poem, a little glimmer of hope rises up within me – hope that God is with us and He is carrying us through.  It's so good to know that we are not alone. 






2 comments:

  1. Man Lori, so sorry about your uncle. :( It's so crazy how lives can be taken in a blink of an eye. But I guess that's why God said we aren't promised tomorrow. It's a difficult one to understand. God will carry you through this season and you will get through. I love how you post things that I need to hear as well--really encourages me. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily, thanks so much for your comment, and thanks for sharing that my posts are an encouragement to you. Your blog is also very much an encouragment to me as well. I'm so blessed to have connected with you again through blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete