Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Emotion

You may already know this by now, but it bears repeating...American Idol is one of my favorite TV shows, ever!  I don't know what it is about watching other people chase their dream to become a singer, but it moves me to tears almost each and every single year.  

A lot of the contestants shown during the audition process really do have great voices, but I can sometimes tell when someone is singing just because they can sing.  Every now and then though, there’s a glorious gem that shows up and sings because he has a story to tell, and they are able to tell their story with moving emotion.

Last Thursday night, there was one young guy who did just that when he came out and sang these words from Lean On Me.

Sometimes in our lives, we all have pain, we all have sorrow.
But, if we are wise, we know that there's always tomorrow.


I couldn’t reach for my tissue fast enough; I was crying like a baby after hearing these two lines of the song.  Earlier, this guy shared his story about how he was bullied in high school, and as soon as he started singing, I felt like I could feel his pain (and his triumph!) through the words of that song.  It was very touching.

I love singers that are able to convey an emotion through their music that makes you want to stop and listen.  I'm working on one song right now that is an emotional one for me.  The song is about how I try to hold on to "things" in my life that are important to me, only to find that they eventually slip through my fingers, and then I come to the realization that I can't live this life alone.  I need God's help. 

It's been a slow process writing this song because I want to make sure that I stay true to the genuine emotion of the song.  I look forward to completing it though, and of course, sharing it with you all.  

Have a great week, and we'll chat again next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment