Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Sunday Quiet Time

I always learn a valuable life lesson when I'm watching Oprah’s Lifeclass.  On one particular episode a few weeks ago, Oprah said something that caught my attention in a big way.  She said that she spends at least one day a week by herself; a time for her to be quiet and just be with her thoughts.  I couldn't even remember when was the last time that I took time to just be with my thoughts.  However, I was inspired to find a little time, once a week, to spend with just me.   
         
Yesterday evening, after all of the good football games were over and there was nothing else to watch, we turned off the TV, turned on some soothing instrumental music, and enjoyed our very first Sunday Quiet Time.  I snuggled on the couch with my big comfy blanket and started reading the new O magazine that I had just received in the mail a few days earlier.  (And yes, in case you can’t tell, I’m a huge Oprah fan!)  When I usually read a magazine, I read it so fast that I don't even remember what I read the very next day.  This time, however, I read slowly.
 
I made sure to pay attention to each word, each paragraph and each article.  I even read the articles that I didn’t think I would be interested in, and to my surprise, those turned out to be the ones that I connected with the most.  I was also inspired to journal some of my own thoughts and ideas, which is something I have not done in a very long time.
 
After about an hour of reading and journaling, I felt refreshed and re-energized, like my empty cup had been filled back up again.  I was refueled to give of myself again and to take care of those that I love most.  I was able to truly enjoy some playtime with my son right before he went to bed, and I kindly asked my husband if he wanted a glass of water while he was working on a project.  I know that may seem like such a small thing, but it is something that I often overlook when I'm too busy or too tired from doing other stuff.   
 
Sunday Quiet Time turned out to be huge success, and I can't wait to incorporate it into our future Sunday evenings.  I believe that I will be a better wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend and employee if I take an hour a week to just sit and be.  Yeah, I may miss out on watching Kourtney & Kim Take New York on Sunday nights, but hey, that's what DVR is for, right!?           

No comments:

Post a Comment