Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Second Chances

Years ago, I had a giant collection of Oprah magazines.  I owned every issue since the magazine first launched in 2000, and I was quite proud of my collection.   

When it was time for me to move out of my apartment, however, I was faced with a decision - do I keep all of these magazines, or do I give them away?  At the time it didn't feel like I had a real need for them, and so I made the decision to give them away...to the recycle bin.  

As time passed, I began to regret that decision.  I started to think about how special it was to have the first very issue of the Oprah magazine and how cool it would have been to display my collection of magazines in my new home.  But it was too late, and there was nothing that I could do to get those magazines back. 

Well, a few months ago, my husband said that he wanted to buy me something with his Coca-Cola reward points.  He gave me a list of options he thought I would like, and a subscription to the Oprah magazine was one of those options.  As soon as he mentioned it, I immediately knew that's what I wanted.  I saw this as my second chance to start collecting Oprah magazines once again.

As soon as I got that first issue, I was so thrilled.  It almost felt like I was being reunited with an old friend.  I was also quickly reminded of why I kept the magazines in the first place - the beautiful pictures, the inspirational articles, and the powerful life lessons. 

Slowly but surely, I've been building back up my collection of Oprah magazines.  This time though, I don't plan on letting them go.

Thinking about all of this makes me think of all the times that I passed up an opportunity to sing because I was too scared and too nervous.  I get so mad at myself just thinking about those times!  But, I'm trusting that if God can give me a second chance at building up my collection of Oprah magazines, then surely he can give me a second chance at singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment